Monday, April 13, 2009

Weekend Update

Well despite all my hoping and praying, the Wildflower long course did not miraculously flatten or get any easier on the bike or run. It has remained just as spectacular aesthetically speaking however.
Sean, Bill, Ryan and I arrived in Paso Robles about 11pm on Friday and pretty much went straight to sleep. Or at least Sean did, as he had just woken up from his hour nap on the ride up. The rest of us were soothed to sleep by the gentle sounds of his snoring. Morning came and it was not so welcoming to us Southern California kids. 38 degrees was not exactly what we were expecting. Surprisingly however, once we were out on the road, it wasn't anything some arm and leg warmers couldn't handle. All in all, it was a solid outing and provided us with a solid training brick and some valuable course recon. Amazing how much you can forget in a year.

Easter Sunday came and I knew I needed to get on the bike for 2 reasons: 1) to get a good recovery spin in the legs; and 2) to build up a little hunger for the Easter brunch to follow.
Charissa has inspired me to start taking more pictures when I am out roaming around this awesome Earth of ours on my bike. So I bought a saddle bag that almost exceeds most airlines' carry-on size limit, and have vowed to bring along the camera more often. She has also inspired me to bike commute, but that is another post. So here are some eggs from my Easter ride around Palos Verdes. Not a bad morning.
Below is the view from San Pedro to Pt. Vicente:
This is a little bay in PV. Nice but it never gets any surf.
After a quick shower, Brunchtime! Fresh fruit, and a bagel with egg whites, cheddar cheese and smoked salmon. MUY BUENO!!! For a while now (actually since the moment my last bite was consumed) I have been craving some more of Bree's ridiculous Banana Bread (WHEN she comes out with her cook book I could be in REAL trouble). This time, instead of raisins, I opted for strawberries as my add-in. If I do say so myself, it was incredible and made for a great breakfast this morning.

Apparently the long day of work and travel on Friday, combined with a solid training brick and more travel on Saturday, and (for some inexplicable reason) a 6am Sunday, had taken its toll. The slice of banana-strawberry bread I had about at about 4:30 turned out to be dinner (a good one at that). See, at about 5 I laid down to watch a little TV. Next thing I knew, it was 9pm. No reason to get up, so I was down for the count again, all the way through til 5am. A SOLID 12 HOURS!!! I was proud.
Hope all your weekends were just as enjoyable.

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad Charissa got you to use a camera! I love fotos, I am like a kid and barely read books without them! AND never spending real time in Cally it's nice to see a spot on Earth I don't know...
    When are you coming here again? AND you can have one of my cookbooks for free, but I am slacking on the writing because Kainoa keeps eating all my meals before I take fotos (my cook book HAS TO HAVE fotos).

    NICE training weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAHHHHHHH for bike commuting! Sooooo excited about this! Seriously - I think it makes my life so much more fun and enjoyable! LOVE LOVE LOVE the pics. PV is beeeeauuuuutiful! Oh, and I need 12 hours of sleep pronto :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe an earthquake will shake all the hillsout of wildflower before you race it? Nice pics by the way.

    ReplyDelete