Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Getting Real

So race numbers for Kona appeared yesterday and come October 10th I will be tattooed with the numerals 1686.

I like the number, it has a good ring to it. The realization that Kona is now 17 short days away was made that much more real by the appearance of the race number list. I am feeling good about it. I am anxious, nervous, and a little on edge, but I am happy, and not scared or freaking out (knock on wood).

I had been feeling like I just wanted to hit the "Fast Forward" button on life for the last couple days, but then my friend Matt imparted this bit of wisdom upon me: "Enjoy this time, there are many people who would give anything to be in your position right now!" Not to brag or toot my own horn, but I do realize that I am extremely lucky to be one of the few who will be getting the chance to race on Triathlon's most hallowed ground this October 10th. For that I feel beyond fortunate, and grateful to all those who have supported me along the way, even down to those that just left a simple encouraging comment on this blog. It has all helped. So I am savoring it now. I don't want the Fast Forward button. In fact, once I get to Kona I'd be willing to bet my bottom dollar that I will be looking for the "Slow Motion" button!!

So here it is, its REAL, its awesome and I am going to enjoy it!

2 comments:

  1. definitely sit back and enjoy it! your training has been awesome and you have set yourself up to have a killer race.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck man. It will be here before you know it. Race your own race and pass everybody at the end of the run. Kona is notorious for MASSIVE egos.

    ReplyDelete