Thursday, August 6, 2009

F Cancer!

During the Tour I was watching an interview with Lance Armstrong and he said that by a certain year (I can't remember which) every person on the globe will have their life touched by cancer (i.e.- every human being or one they know or love, will be diagnosed with some form of cancer). For a second I thought, "Wow, that's an mind boggling statistic!" But when I thought more about it, I came to the realization that is wasn't nearly as remarkable as I initially thought. My junior year of high school I had my own cancer scare. A couple years back one of my friends, Darren, was diagnosed with Lymphoma and died 3 months later at the age of 24. Just 2 months ago, a lawyer who worked in our office, a great man and friend, Ron Pass, ended his long, fiercely fought battle with cancer. About 3 weeks ago, my grandfather, "Poppa Bill", was diagnosed with an aggressive metastasised cancer and is fighting hard as I write this post. I am 100% positive everyone reading this could rattle off similar stories.

Recently I have begun reading "Fat Cyclist's" blog. While originally this blog was clearly dedicated to all things humorous about cycling, it transformed when his wife Susan was diagnosed with cancer. Susan fought long and hard, and her battle ended yesterday. Fat Cyclist has done a SIMPLY AMAZING job fundraising for the fight for a cure and his team has raised over $500,000.00 in the fight against this unrelenting disease. Please take a moment to stop by his blog and check out the new contest he has started wherein the "winner" will receive a beautiful new Orbea Orca. A spectacular machine no doubt, but not nearly as valuable as the feeling you will get from making a donation and helping wage the war against this despicable enemy.

No comments:

Post a Comment