Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Thats a wrap... (almost)

2012 has been a season of change.

Change from an injured athlete possibly out of the sport, to an athlete coming back.

Change from a group training environment, to solo hours for the largest part.

Change is coaching, approach, and focus.

All of those changes, I am happy to say, have been for the better both so far as my performance and state of mind are concerned. As the saying goes however, change is not easy. While I don't necessarily subscribe to the notion that we human beings, on the whole, are resistent to change, I know it does not come easy for most. Myself included. Creatures of habit we may be. Change upsets a certain rhythm of life that most endurance athletes seem to adhere to with greater resolve than others. Our routine, in some sense, becomes the life.

Following my crash at Ironman Cozumel last year, a very well respected doctor, knowing the typical athlete's adherence to routine, told me I needed to mentally accept and prepare for a change to that routine, a change in my way of life. To contemplate a life without triathlon, at least at the profesional level, and thereby begin to prepare myself for such a life should it eventuate.

To my relief, my shoulder proved resilient and unaffected by the rather unaesthetic protrusion it now sports. I worked at rebuilding its functionality and strength and went back into routine. Life.

With my final race of the season looming this Sunday, I have come to realize that this race means more to me than I thought it would. It represents an opportunity to finish on high, a season that started so low. I raced Ironman Arizona in 2010. I have been at the race as a spectator or participant every year since 2008. It is a race that holds a certain significance with me. I am unable to exactly pin it down or explain it, but I just like the race. A great deal.

So all the training is done. Hay is in the barn, all the other saying we use to describe our readiness to compete. I am excited to head out to Tempe tomorrow to see familiar faces and feel the race week buzz. I am excited to face the truly unique challenges that this great sport of Triathlon presents us with over 140.6 miles of racing. Excited to try and eclipse my previous best on this course and to do so amongst a great field of professionals, and in front of many family and friends.

If you are racing this weekend enjoy yourself, your sport, your family and friends, and the opportunity to do what you love.

Cheers

3 comments:

  1. Good luck Ian. Look forward to following you on race day and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete